Community Church

HISTORY OF COMMUNITY CHURCH
Howey–in–the–Hills Community Church began in 1920, five years before the incorporation of the town itself. The church has progressed through the leadership of many pastors and a variety of locations in town, such as tents that were used to house prospective buyers for Mr. Howey′s grove property (tent city), the schoolhouse site that later became the site of the Howey Academy Chapel, to its present location at Palmetto and Palm Avenue (Highway 19).

Ten worshipers started meeting in homes in 1920, moved to a dilapidated school house at the south end of town, and in 1949, with the financial help of the Yoder brothers, built the present sanctuary, which carries their name on the cornerstone. On February 12, 1928 with 27 charter members, it became affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (once known as the Northern Church), and was incorporated on February 3, 1937.






FORMER PASTORS & TIME LINE


Start Date
End Date
Activity
Pastor
1920
1922
Met in old school house
10 dedicated souls
Winter 1922
Spring 1923
Met in Tent City
Mr. Ware
Spring 1923
Summer 1924
No services held

Summer 1924
End of 1925
Met in new school house
Rev. Stearns
1926
Jan 1, 1927
Started Sunday School
Services by Winter residents
Dr. Roy, Superintendent
Dr. Wright & Elder Pitts
Jan 1, 1927

Petition to start Presbyterian Church
Dr. J.F. Shepherd


Took religious census; urged to organize
Rev. Alex Linn
Feb 12, 1928

Affiliated with Presbyterian Church U.S.A.



Stream of supply pastors
Robert M. Stevenson
Lloyd Anderson
H. L. Brown
Walter R. Courtenay
Allen G. Bowering
J. F. Vernon
Dr. J. F. Shepherd
Summer 1932

First "regular" minister
Rev. Henry O. Moore
1933
1939
Planned for own building
Met in Howey Academy Auditorium
Rev. Henry O. Moore
1937

Charter of Incorporation
Howey–in–the–Hills Community Church

1940
Fall 1942
"Tourist Pastor"
Rev. David Lang
Oct 1942
End 1949
"Stated Supply Pastor"
Built present sanctuary
Rev. William Cady
Jan 1950
Apr 1952
Shared Pulpit with Center Hill
Dr. J. C. Hayes
Apr 1952
Jan 1953
No record of pastor
Unknown
Jan 1953
Feb 1957
Purchased Palm Ave "manse"
A cleric's house and land, especially
the residence of a Presbyterian minister

Rev. Russell Vernon Carr
Feb 1957
Aug 1957
Interim pastor
Unknown
Aug 1957
End 1959
Seminary graduate
Charles A. Schroeder
Jan 1960
Oct 1962
Pastor out of retirement
Dr. Walter D. Ritter
Oct 1962
Jun 1963
Interim Pastor
Unknown
Jun 1963
1977
Built Fellowship Hall
Built "manse" on Palmetto Ave
G.A. Commissioner
Gordon E. Jowers
1977
Mar 1978
Interim Pastor
Rev. Frank Walkup
Mar 1978
End 1996
Longest standing pastor
Rev. Fredric Ashworth
1997
Feb 2004
Retired Air Force chaplain
Longest stated supply pastor
Planned new sanctuary
Rev. Robert (Bob) Merrell
Mar 1 2004
Mar 13 2005
Retired Army chaplain
Rev. Stanley J O'Loughlin
Mar 1 2005
Jun 6 2012
Full time pastor
Rev. Dr. Ken Folmsbee
Jun 2012
Oct 2014
"Pastor Emeritus"
Rev. Robert (Bob) Merrell
Oct 2014
Apl 2015
Pulpit Supply
Rev. Linda Jaberg
Mar 1 2015
Present
Transitional Pastor
Rev. Linda Jaberg
 
 
 
 


HISTORY OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

MEANING OF THE PRESBYTERIAN LOGO

OUR STAFF

OUR COMMUNITY




Return | About Us | Directions | Site Map | Contact