Community Church is a Christian church. Our primary mission is to carry the Good News of Jesus Christ to the people of Howey–in–the–Hills and the community at large. Many attend our church from other neighboring towns and communities. We are a member of the Presbytery of Central Florida and subscribe to its constitution and the basic tenets of the Reformed faith.
Our membership is growing steadily with many more active friends of the church who regularly attend. Common to most areas of Florida, our attendance significantly increases during the winter months because of the "Snow Birds." Our church is welcoming to all Christian faiths. We strive to be non–judgmental and tolerant of everyone. All are welcome to gather with us for worship and participate in our various programs and special events.
The mission of Community Church is to faithfully promote the Word and ministry of Jesus Christ to our congregation and the community we serve; to encourage peace in human hearts and relationships within our community and our world; and to actualize the truth and spirit of the Gospel as presented in the confessional standards of the Presbyterian Church in the USA.
- To WORSHIP the Lord our God faithfully through Word and Sacrament
- To GROW in grace through education and fellowship
- To SERVE the world–wide mission of the Kingdom of God as individuals, as families and as a worship community
- To CELEBRATE our diversity as persons and our unity as a church
- To SUPPORT each other with prayer and encouragement as we live out our faith at home and throughout the world
WHAT IS A PRESBYTERIAN?
In the New Testament, "Presbuteros" means elder and refers to the democratic custom of choosing leaders and advisors from among the wisest members of the church. Presbyterians are a group of Protestants whose church is founded on the concepts of democratic rule under the Word of God. The Presbyterian denomination is a form of Christianity democratically organized to embrace the faith common to all Christians.
All that is required to be a Presbyterian is to
- Confess the Christian faith
- Trust in Christ as our Savior
- Promise to follow Christ and Christ′s example for living
- Commit oneself to attend church and to become involved in the work
WHAT IS A PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH?
It is a representative democracy by elders elected from and by the congregation. Authority resides with these elders and is exercised in the appointed governing body known as the Session. The Session oversees the day–to–day work of the church and supervises deacons (those elected to conduct the temporal and charitable ministry of the church) and trustees (in some churches) who manage the financial, legal and property affairs of the church.
The overall church structure is made up of four governing bodies
- The Session or local governing body which is composed of ordained ministers of the Word and Elders, all elected by the congregation
- The Presbytery which is composed of Elders and Ministers from congregations who oversee several churches
- The Synod who are representatives elected from each Presbytery to oversee several Presbyteries
- The General Assembly which is the national governing body made up of equal numbers of laypeople and clergy chosen by Presbyterians
HISTORY OF COMMUNITY CHURCH
HISTORY OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
MEANING OF THE PRESBYTERIAN LOGO
Home | Media |
Directions | Site Map | Contact